- Each Downtime is 90 days, no more, no less.
- There are several categories of actions you can do, some take time, some do not.
- Administrative actions generally take no time
- Giving someone money or an item generally takes no time (Equipment and financial actions)
- Co-ordinating with someone else takes no time
- Generally anything else takes some of your precious DT days.
For the purposes of this guide we have the following tech tree:
- Bake Cake: \“allows you to bake a cake!\” Takes 30 days to learn, 10 days to teach.
- Bake delicous cake: \“allows you to bake a delicious cake\”. Takes 35 days to learn, 10 days to teach. Requires you know \“Bake Cake\” skill.
- Bake moist cake: \“allows you to bake a cake that is moist\”. Takes 30 days to learn, 10 days to teach. Requires you know \“Bake Cake\” skill.
- Bake delicious and moist cake: \“allows you to bake a cake that is both delicious and moist\”. Takes 90 days to learn, 50 days to teach. Requires you know how to \“bake delicious cake\” and \“bake moist cake\”.
- Brew tea. Cannot be learned on your own, requires you to study a \“teapot lammie\” for 75 days. It can be taught in 25 days.
Time taken and things happening
First thing for actions that take time, is that you add them to your character lineally – from start to finish. The system will fill in your DT from day 1 to day 90, so you have to enter actions in the right order. If you want to change things it becomes a pain in the neck as you have to cancel all the actions that followed it.
The one exception to this rule is teaching offers that have yet to be accepted. If your friend offers to teach you from days 50-55, then until you accept that offer the DT system will ignore it so far as your actions are concerned as you haven\‘t done anything with it. As soon as you accept that offer then that is your action, and any more actions you add will come after it.
Thus the lesson to the wise: do not accept late-season teaching offers until you are very sure your earlier stuff won\‘t change.
Actions that do not take time generally happen instantly, if you select to give someone money, the money appears right away in their character screen. You can cancel this action up until the point they do something with the money/item, then it\‘s locked and only they can cancel it.
If something takes time, then it does NOT actually happen until the end of downtime when Matt presses the big \“MAKE DOWNTIME HAPPEN\” button. Until that point it is merely an action in potential.
For example, you spend the first 30 days of DT learning \“bake cake\”, even though you only need 30 days to learn the skill, you cannot spend the next 10 actually baking a cake, nor can you teach it to someone that downtime. Nor can you self learn the next level in cake baking \“bake moist cake\”.
At the next event your character will have gained the skill and it will be available to use at the event and following downtimes. In the downtime \“bake delicious cake\” and \“bake moist cake\” will appear in your research options.
The 1 exception to this rule is if you are being taught pre-requiste skills by someone else.
Say your friend knows \“bake delicious and moist cake\” this requires you to know \“bake cake\” (10 days), \“bake moist cake\” (10 days), \“bake delicious cake\” (15 days) and itself takes 50 days to teach.
If your friend selects to teach you to bake delicious and moist cake for 50 days, the DT system will work out that you need to know other cake-baking skills first and so will spend 10 days teaching you cake baking, 10 teaching you moist cake baking, 15 teaching you delicious cake baking and the rest teaching delicious and moist cake baking.
DT system auto-calculating
For skill teaching, you can opt to set the number of days you are teaching. If you do not fill in the number of days, the system will automatically set it to the number of days required to teach the skill. If you set the number of days to higher than required to teach the skill, the system will automatically lower it!
Now lets assume that you already know delicious cake baking and moist baking. And you have 2 friends, Weebl and Bob who have agreed to teach you delicious and moist baking. Weebl can teach you for the first 30 days, bob can finish you off for the next 20.
When bob comes to teach you, he is a bit lazy and just selects \“teach delicious cake\” without specifying the number of days. Initally the teaching offer will come in taking up 50 days. When you click ACCEPT to bobs teaching the DT system will automatically lower the number of days required to 20 because you have already had 30 days of teaching from weebl. Note that this happens when you click accept, so if bob has already put in other actons for alter he will now have a big 30 day gap in his DT.
Note this is a slight change: previously the DT system could not do this kind of calculation to take account of teaching that was happening in the same downtime (because it had not yet been processed), Matt P made the changes earlier this year so it will now account for your current DT actions as well as past ones.
Associates and allies
If there are people you interact with a lot, add them as allies. That way they appear in a dropdown box for all your actions!
Unless you are dealing with food provisioning for you colony/friends/whatever you don\‘t have to worry about this, even if it says that everyone will starve! Don\‘t panic, your character will still find food, possibly by eating the NPCs.
You only know about places your character has been to and done things at. See act at locations below.
Unless you specify otherwise, your character is assumed to be carrying everything that is in your inventory. That means that they will use them if in combat, and can potentially lose them
To prevent this, use the store function to stash them under your bed, you can\‘t use them, but they can\‘t be looted off you.
Hiding: Your character still has the item (so if you hide your armour you would still have it in a fight) but cannot select it to perform actions with. This is an older mechnic that played more a part when stealing was an option. Matt P is considering removing it.
Paying Money and Incurring Debt
Some things in DT require you to pay for them. This will be in a specific currency dictated by the area of the new world you are in.
**They will only accept payment in that form of currency. There is no way in DT to convert from 1 currency to another.**
If you don\‘t have the money you can incur a debt with the new world creditors.
If you don\‘t pay this debt next DT you will be blacklisted (unable to borrow any more from them) and incur (a ruinous rate of) interest on the debt. Like the ordinary people, the creditors will only accept currency that the debt is in.
It doesn\‘t matter if your debt is for 1 silver ducatto, they won\‘t accept your 5 Mark piece and you will be black-listed for that downtime.
Advice: check what your debts are when the DT results come out and make sure you change some money in uptime to pay them.
There is a downtime facility to deposit money with the Ramici C’apell. This money will not appear in your event pack, and so its useful for storing money that you only use in DT (if for example you incur debts in a currency other than your characters primary one). Please note: The players in the Ramici Capell trade house have NO access to this money, you cannot access it at an event!
News During Downtime stuff will happen. If your character is in the area when it happens (due to being taught, acting at location or moving themselves) they may hear about it. Learn to enjoy this.
News reports are based on what your alligence is and it is entirely possible that 2 different people will get 2 different (and contradictory) versions of the same event. Learn to enjoy this even more.
Another change to the DT system is the ability for crafters to start crafting something, then put it on hold and craft something else.
- Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:22:22 +0100 – Aquarion [ View | Diff ]
- Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:02:43 +0100 – Aquarion [ View | Diff ]
- Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:32:15 +0100 – draconas [ View | Diff ]
- Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:25:22 +0100 – draconas [ View | Diff ]
- Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:47:53 +0100 – Aquarion [ View | Diff ]
- Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:47:22 +0100 – Aquarion [ View | Diff ]
- Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:46:24 +0100 – Aquarion [ View | Diff ]
- Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:05:21 +0100 – draconas [ View | Diff ]
- Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:05:02 +0100 – draconas [ View | Diff ]
- Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:52:32 +0100 – draconas [ View | Diff ]
- Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:52:14 +0100 – draconas [ View | Diff ]
- Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:46:40 +0100 – draconas [ Current ]
- Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:42:30 +0100 – draconas [ View | Diff ]
- Show rest of revisions